Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Blog 10: Senior Project - The Holiday


1. Prior to the break, I had to change my essential question. My new EQ asks how an operations manager can best motivate their employees to achieve success in evaluations. The majority of my research is grounded in what qualities make for a good leader and I’ve had to transition to research aimed towards improving the work environment, thus motivating employees to work efficiently. What I have physically done over break is find new research on how a manager can effectively make successful employees.

2. The most important thing I’ve done, per say, is to reevaluate and find new research. Since I had to revise my essential so that it was less career oriented, I was glad to find that some of my older research does support my new essential question. What I found is that a business is only as good as the relationship with the employee. “...Executives who treat businesses as a series of relationships (not just alliances) tend to focus on managing the complexity of … different organizations and people all trying to accomplish different things.” This excerpt in particular corresponds to my EQ as it states that effective business is a result of taking ‘different organizations and people’ and directing them towards a common goal. All employees are different, therefore motivation is different from person to person. From what I understood of this article, Five Management Concepts That Really Work, was that a common goal serves as a point where the employee wants and needs to be; if success wants to be achieved in the workplace, the individual must be motivated to do so.

3. My father, Brice Cocjin, would be a candidate I would interview; I have already interviewed him on the success of an operations manager. As an operations manager, you are also in charge of hiring, firing, and employee evaluations. My mentor is one of the few managers who reviews employees and writes up evaluations. These evaluations cover how the employee works with others, their conduct, work ethic, and other areas. As such, I would definitely ask my mentor what to look for in these evaluations and what should the manager do in order to motivate them. 


All of the employees are interconnected somehow — 
which supports the concept of sharing a common goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Grey Outline Pointer