Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Blog 5: Project Reflection and Working EQ



The Pentagon:

1.) Positive Statement: What positive thing happen as a result of what you have completed so far?
One of the positive things that I learned during mentorship and conducting research is that management of any kind cannot be simply broken into just working a computer or holding a title. With anything, there are many components to what makes it whole. I found that in warehouse distribution management, there are quite a few things involved than just keeping cycle counts of inventory. I consider the leadership required for the job one of the most difficult but fundamental aspects of this job.

2.) EQ Content: Pick a piece of research or your interview.  How has it helped you improve your understanding of your topic?
The most influential piece of research I’ve gathered thus far has been the book The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. Despite having been in so many groups during my time at iPoly, I can’t admit that any them were as successful as they could have been; points were made on a consensus basis and things were done because they had to. This book is written in a fictional setting where there is a dysfunctional team led by one, single influential character. In this book, I learned that reaching a consensus isn’t necessarily a good thing and conflict amongst the group is healthy for a successful team.

3.) What has worked for you so far in the senior project?
As of late, I feel that what has worked out the most for me is going with my dad for mentorship on Saturdays. I’ve been to the building enough times, but walking through the warehouse offers breadth on how much happens in a single day. This way, I get a lot of perspective on what a operations manager deals with, i.e. when there is a missing part (which has happened twice already) or when a bin needs to be located.

4.) What hasn’t worked so far?
What hasn’t worked so far is how and what other research I can find. The first articles and books I picked up helped wonders, but there is only so much reliable information I can find online. Many of the articles on warehouse management has do with the technology involved and little else on the actual managerial part involved. A few books I’ve been reading are more self-help oriented and less about application into a warehouse.

5.) What is a potential question you would like to study this year? (Working EQ)
“What qualities make for a successful operations manager?” / “What factor determines successful warehouse operations management?
What do you plan to do for mentorship? If you haven’t found a mentor yet, then discuss where you are currently looking and who you are talking to to find it.
I plan to continue my mentorship at Unical Aviation with my dad and possibly  with a few other managers working in the same department.

1 comment:

  1. I think the factor question will be accepted more easily by the senior team. I would add "best" before the word determines. When we say quality, it often lends itself to self-help types of answers like, "having a people personality".

    Concerning research, are there any trade magazines that the folks at Unical use? Otherwise, I would suggest business leadership books, but I see where they could be more self help than specific. Make an appointment with me, and I will happily help you look. You also might do this with a library staff member. Seems there have to be some databases.

    ReplyDelete

Small Grey Outline Pointer